sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,524Gear list
Like?
Re: EVF limit what you can see as your inner image by prescribing a view
In reply to noirdesir, 10 months ago

noirdesir wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

rgolub wrote:

White balance? On a non corrected screen?

Yes, it's amazing, I can actually see if the WB is incorrect on the EVF on all of my mirrorless cameras that use an EVF. WYSIWYG innit...

Why bother getting the WB right in camera? It might be easy enough for you, but doing it on the computer would certainly not be more difficult. And since one likely modifies the WB on the computer at least for some images, doing it all on the computer should certainly mean less work?

Again, yes, I can see what the final image will look like on the EVF. It isn't the actual final image, but again, its correct.

I thought that would be helpful when I bought the OM-D E-M5. But it doesn't work for me. One reason might be that the 'image' is smaller than my D800 viewfinder, and size does matter, MF or even more LF really allowed for better judgement and composition (and that is why I think taking images with an iPad is not such a stupid thing to do). But there are more, probably less obvious reasons:

1. As strange as it might sound but I need the stimulation of the real world situation. Even if the final image won't be 3D or have the DR or gamut of reality, I need the richer view of the real world to tingle my interest.
  2. Probably just a different take on the same is that I tend to 'see' (imagine) an image before I know where I have to position myself, what framing, lens, or exposure I need. And to discover and and 'see' this image, I have a 3D view, with a very wide viewing angle and DR.
  3. And with an optical viewfinder I don't have to constantly work on ensuring that I even just can still see the scene. With the OM-D, as I pan around in higher contrast environments, parts of the image can become invisible because blown and I have to fiddle with the camera just to see the subject. Automatic exposure modes reduce this problem but then cause an image to change brightness as you pan around.
  4. Related to this is the contrast or disconnect between what you see on the display and what you see directly with your eyes, switching back and forth and you sometimes feel in two different worlds. And I agree, sometimes seeing things from the sensor's perspective can be helpful (eg, when shooting B&W, there the camera is probably better than your mind of pre-visualising the image).

Once the light is fixed and the camera position is fixed, then of course EVFs allow you to switch from the image your mind had formed to the one the camera will form.

Sure, I get it. The E-M5 EVF is a bit dated now in any event. The one in the E-M1 is much better.

But it's all relative. I find the OVF of the D800E limited vs the rangefinder OVF of my M240. I can't see what will enter the scene in the D800E OVF whereas I can with the Leica. Sure, there are parallax issues, but for the purposes of street photography there's no question the rangefinder OVF wins.

What's the point? Really just that the finder used is a tool, nothing more. What's good for one purpose is a pain for another. A choice of tools is good, hence why hybrid VFs offer the best of both worlds.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow