Can someone explain why an electronic shutter can even be a viable solution?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Philly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,098
Like?
Can someone explain why an electronic shutter can even be a viable solution?
10 months ago

I see that the new Panasonic GM1 uses an electronic shutter for shutter speed shorter than 1/500 sec.  Also, I've read posts from people satisfied with the electronic shutter in the Panasonic G5.

Can someone please explain to me how this solution is even viable?  As I understand it, an electronic shutter requires that the sensor's pixels be read line by line.  But these lines of pixels are read sequentially--with the exposure captured at that time they are read.  And that it takes 1/10 sec, approximately, to read all the pixels on the sensor.  Doesn't this mean that the effective shutter speed with an electronic shutter is always going to be 1/10 sec--as far as subject movement and camera shake are concerned?  That is, if your subject exhibits movement within the 1/10 sec that the sensor is electronically read, that movement would be captured in the exposure.  And if you cannot hold the camera steady for the 1/10 sec that it takes to electronically read the sensor, that camera shake would show up in the exposure.

Is my understanding above correct?  If so, how can an electronic shutter possibly be used in any application where 1/10 sec shutter speed would be too long to freeze subject movement or to hold a camera steady?  This would be for almost all photo applications without the camera on a tripod.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow