XM1 Dynamic Range ..

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,448Gear list
Like?
Re: XM1 Dynamic Range ..
In reply to Scott Birch, 11 months ago

It would be interesting for someone with both cameras to give a review of the practical differences between them.  To begin, it is my impression that:

1. Velvia on the XM1 is less exaggerated than on the X-E1. It is therefore more useful on the X-M1.

2. The XM1 when set to DRAuto, sticks to DR200 in situations where the X-E1 would choose DR400.

3. The flattest, most unadorned "film" on the X-E1 -- Pro Negative Standard -- has no equivalent on the XM1.  In harsh, contrasty, outdoor lighting, Pro Negative Standard is sorely missed.

4. If I'm not mistaken, double-exposure mode on the X-E1 gives you a double-exposed negative (i.e. a double-exposed RAW file), but only gives a double-exposed JPEG from the XM1.

I'd be curious whether others can confirm (or contradict) any of these; they are simply my impressions. What other differences would you add to the list?

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow