Will Nikon be out of business in 5 years?

Started Oct 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Tony Beach
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,870
Re: welcome to the world of professional photography!
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Oct 30, 2013

PenguinPhotoCo wrote:

If you have to spend 20% more time/money on marketing to just keep your sales even from year to year to actually are taking a 20% pay cut.

That would only be if you spent 100% of your time/money on marketing. I generally think 2% of total revenues is the right amount to spend on advertising, since I keep most of my total revenues doubling that 2% to 4% would work out to maybe a 3% pay cut.

Some businesses do indeed spend more on marketing than making the product/service.

Cosmetics come to mind, as do pharmaceuticals.

I don't want that for my future. Do you want it for yours?

Well, some of those cosmetic and pharmaceutical companies are doing fabulously well.  Of course, then good marketing is rewarded more than good photography (or far more worrisome, good pharmaceuticals).  I agree with you, that is a sad thing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow