GIX does Antelope Slot Canyon

Started 11 months ago | Photos thread
grey-ghost
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?
Re: GIX does Antelope Slot Canyon
In reply to JJ Rodin, 11 months ago

JJ Rodin wrote:

As nice as the G1x can do, going there without at least a mono pod is odd, and if you do the 'photographer's' tour, you can stay a long time, and do some LOW ISO shots with tripod.

So if you go such a distance to do either upper or lower, take a tri-pod ! Low ISO is soooo much better, especially if you love your shots and want big pics!!

This is a very contrasty place to photograph (sunny days at least) so under exposing for the brights and pushing the shadows is almost necessary OR HDR with realistic looks-tripod.

No matter what, the G1x is up for the job, but it can use normal photographer helps - tripod!!

As for the dust, the guide 'throws' up dust to allow dusty sun shafts, which look nice, not a problem for any of us, just be backed away, as you would want to be anyhow.

On to Paria canyon & coyote buttes from page, az !!! Then Moab !!

Can't speak to a photographer's tour since I was on a more general one.  Remember, however, that Antelope is a SLOT canyon, barely 6 feet wide at widest, and with typically 100s of visitors in a canyon barely more than 100 yards long.  Not much room for a tripod.  Most of my shots were straight up (to avoid capturing crowds of people - not sure a monopod would help much at that angle.  My "tripod" was back against a solid wall, elbows tucked tight to chest and held breath during exposure.  Normal "photographer helps" when a tripod is not practical.

-- hide signature --

Carpe Diem,
Mike

grey-ghost's gear list:grey-ghost's gear list
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow