Tom Axford
Senior MemberPosts: 1,296
Like?
Re: Thanks for the info ...
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Oct 30, 2013

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Tom Axford wrote:

Steve_ wrote:

And this is evident from the (extortionate for me) amount of purple fringing and distortion especially at the wide end of the zooms.

I'm not sure this isn't a product of how large and optically uncompromised the 4/3s zooms were. It's hard to correct a lens as fully when compactness and light weight are leading priorities.

I agree with you. I can't see how telecentricity is going to reduce distortion or chromatic aberration.

please read = http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/en_CLB41_Nasse_LensNames_Distagon.pdf

Thanks for that link to an excellent article that starts off talking about the distagon and biogon lens designs, but then towards the end has a section that clearly explains the advantages of telecentric designs to digital imaging and consequently why Zeiss do not produce symmetric (highly non-telecentric) designs such as the biogon and hologon for digital cameras.

The article more-or-less confirms what I said about distortion. In fact, the partially telecentric distagon design suffers greater distortion than the non-telecentric biogon, but the distagon is much more suitable for digital sensors. This helps to explain why software correction of distortion has become very popular with digital camera manufacturers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow