Mirrorless DSLR..sorry but they are pretty crap

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,423Gear list
Like?
Re: With respect...
In reply to chlamchowder, 6 months ago

EVF's are very good for reviewing an image in bright sunlight and you can use magnified view.

I used this feature extensively recently when using the sweep panorama function on a Fuji XE1. It allowed me to inspect the image I just took for stitching errors before I walked away thinking I had gotten a good shot per the LCD that just does not show the minor flaws. This ensured when I was happy with the inspected image it was fine when I viewed it on my computer later. You would have great difficulty doing that with the LCD in bright sunlight.

Secondly the EVF makes manual focusing a snap. On a Sony Nex camera where they have focus peaking with a coloured border when the object is in focus it takes 2 or 3 seconds to manually focus a legacy lens. This is much faster than with the Nikon green dot in an OVF.

3rdly at night focusing on a bright star is quite a bit easier with an evf. Its also not too bad with an LCD and magnifed view if you set the preview up so it shows at the set ISO rather than some preset.

EVFs are annoying in dim light when you pan and if there is not enough computer horsepower in the camera it can lag. I believe this aspect is not a problem with the new Sony A7 and A7r. Reviews no doubt will test this point.

At first I did not like an EVF but you get used to them and then you start seeing their advantages.

Fuji X100s has a terrific implementation where you can switch from EVF to OVF with overlays with a flick of a switch. Very nice.

Greg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow