Mirrorless DSLR..sorry but they are pretty crap

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,413Gear list
Like?
Re: EVFs..sorry but they are pretty great
In reply to chlamchowder, 9 months ago

chlamchowder wrote:

Yes (although I don't agree about the Epson VF you refer to), but there are also times when an OVF is also terrible: it doesn't show you the correct DOF

It can, but manufacturers today decided to use screens that don't. It's not a fundamental limitation of optical finders.

Agree - but current finders are what they are

the exposure may not be correct, it cannot have the variety of overlay information supplied by an EVF, it doesn't allow for the variety of MF aids that are available.

Exposure preview is absent, but that also prevents exposure preview from getting in the way. For example, if you're shooting a high contrast scene and the camera meters incorrectly, you might have a really hard time seeing your subject through an EVF.

Correct, but then you know to adjust or to switch to spot...

It's also possible to overlay just as much information over an OVF (using the same see-through LCD that overlays the focus points), or display more information with the viewfinder LEDs. Again, it's a design choice - designers probably didn't want to clutter the view too much.

OVFs can have MF aids in the form of coarser-grained focusing screens, split screen, or microprisms. They don't come by default, but it's definitely possible.

You don't have to agree with me, and I'm sure people still said riding a horse and buggy to work was great when Ford came out with the model T...

Someone who offers both EVF and OVF without other flaws will clean up

It's offered now, in the form of a DSLR. Hit the LV button to get all the advantages of an EVF (easier to manually focus, exposure preview, more info displays), or use the OVF (when getting the shot in the first place is what matters).

With respect, until they offer LV in the VF, it isn't offered now.

Did I also mention battery drain? Keeping the sensor and image processing pipeline on just to get a preview doesn't come free.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow