Premium Fixed Lens Cameras - A new paradigm?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,868Gear list
Like?
Premium Fixed Lens Cameras - A new paradigm?
9 months ago

A few years back, the "good" fixed lens camera selection consisted mainly of the Canon G & S series, a Nikon P that didn't measure up, the LX3, and ...  Right, I couldn't think of any more, either.

But now, there are more than 20 (counting Leica branded Lumix); and more are popping up almost daily.

Sales must be fairly good, or there would not be so many.  I suspect, that many serious amateurs, and a few professionals, are finding these are perfectly acceptable substitutes for DSLR's and ILC's, if only as the back up body.  I know it works for me.

I have 2 points to make here.  First, I'll submit that the premium fixed lens cameras make more sense for most people than do ILC's.

Second, I think compact, and Point and Shoot are poor names for such cameras.  Many are neither compact, nor point and shoot.  P&S, to me, implies quick snap shots with little thought, or even expertise.  Something like a G1X, 100S, or RX1 are hardly that.  Is an RX10 compact?  Not really.  So what do we call them?  I'd suggest FLC for Fixed Lens Camera as an analog to ILC.  And if they are upscale, maybe Premium ILC.

OK, that's my two points.  What say you?

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow