Will Nikon be out of business in 5 years?

Started Oct 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
PenguinPhotoCo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,054Gear list
Like?
where would YOU invest for the future?
In reply to Eamon Hickey, Oct 29, 2013

As a pro photog I'm seeing changes in my world - big ones. I too have to decide what to do - change prices, products, segments, marketing, market I want to attract - or perhaps change what I sell dramatically (from prints to teaching for example).

So if YOU owned nikon and had, say $100m to work with, what do you do?  Put it in the bank for the upcoming rainy day?
Design a new camera system that is open architecture and let the software world decide what your camera can be?
Buy tesla or general mills or in some way diversify? (ok, those are extreme options but you get the idea)

Me? I've added a photobooth and this year have added DJ services and put that all together as 'wedding services' - building on my connections and market knowledge of weddings.

I've had great luck growing my sports league biz but no luck growing babies and families. So like has been said - will this turn out like apple or kodak?

-- hide signature --

Vision without execution is hallucination. T. Edison.
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value

PenguinPhotoCo's gear list:PenguinPhotoCo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow