Part II: Nikon wasting time & resources on a BS retro camera

Started Oct 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
dacrema
Contributing MemberPosts: 576
Like?
Re: Part II: Nikon wasting time & resources on a BS retro camera
In reply to DezM, Oct 29, 2013

I purchased a D600 a few months ago. I love the camera (it does have some dust and oil issues but I can clean the camera's sensor). It is not the replacement for a D300 though.

The sensor when cropped to DX is about the size of a D200 and the dynamic range is great. You could do wonders with either in full frame or DX. My issue is shooting birds and things in the distance. I get more keepers with the D300. I also like the controls on the D300 better. Things like changing between spot, matrix and center weighted metering, picture modes, and the like. I was better able to accomplish those type of changes on the fly with the D300. There also more shutter lag when some settings are active as compared to the same settings with a D300. I've had the D600 long enough that I do not feel it is a user issue as much as a layout issue. These are tools a more advanced photographer work with.

For me those issues are not a deal breaker, as I said - I love the camera. Also I purchased the D600 more for low light, work that would allow a more narrow DOF and some other things full frame does slightly better. If/when a D400 comes out I may make the jump. Though I may wind up with a 7100 now that I do not do as much outdoor sports.

I find it frustrating that there has been the a D700, two D800s, 600, 610 and now Df in full frame without a real change in the D300. The 300s is really the same camera.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
D610New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow