How does Fuji compare to Full Frame?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,018Gear list
Like?
Re: How does Fuji compare to Full Frame?
In reply to TThorne, 6 months ago

TThorne wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

I've done print comparisons for people locally using16x24 prints for them. All this talk about more life, 3D looks, creamy this or that simply vanish when they cant tell the prints apart.

Thanks Dave, but there is an even more miraculous revelation brought about by your awesome genius. Think about it:

Full Frame surface area = 864mm2

APSC surface area = 329mm2

Full Frame surface area is 2.6x that of the APSC.

Of course we all know from you that there is no difference in quality between these two. Fantastic!

Stay with me...

APSC surface area = 329mm2

4/3 surface area = 225mm2

APSC surface area is almost 1.5x that of the 4/3.

Here's where it gets good!

If there is no real benefit to having that 2.6x more surface area with a FF over an APSC, then SURELY there is no real benefit to the additional 1.5x surface area of APSC over 4/3!

So... 4/3 image quality/characteristics are indistinguishable from APSC!

Wait, there is more...

If:

FF = APSC & APSC = 4/3, then... FULL FRAME PRODUCES NO BETTER RESULTS THAN 4/3!!!!!

By the way, medium format surface area is 1452mm2, so it is only really 1.7x more than FF. Surely, being a much smaller jump from FF than the jump from APSC to FF would mean that there isn't much, if any difference there either!

Dave, on behalf of a grateful photography community, I'd like to thank you for leading us down this path of wisdom, reason, logic, and accountability. I see a nobel prize in your future!!!

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

Correct me if i am wrong but you compared sensor size. Isn't it more usefo to compare pixel size of the same generation sensors? The D800 has about 2x the sensor size as the Fuji but it also has half the pixels so pixel size is similar.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow