Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,641Gear list
Like?
You really have to give Olympus credit
10 months ago

This is probably one of the WORST financially managed companies in the industry, but they still seem to have the best camera designers and lens engineers. While their financial management and marketing skills have been questionable, they continue to roll out exciting, interesting and innovative products.

Since news of their financial scandal broke in 2011... Olympus has launched the following innovative products....

• 2011 - Olympus XZ1 - high end enthusiast compact
  • 2012 - Olympus E-M5 - award winning class leading MILC camera
  • 2012 - Olympus TG1 - arguably best rugged camera made up to that time
  • 2012 - Olympus 75mm f/1.8 lens - sharpest M4/3 lens ever made
  • 2013 - Olympus E-M1 - full featured, semi-pro high end camera, with PDAF
  • 2013 - Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO lens - class leading high end lens
  • 2013 - Olympus Stylus 1 - high end superzoom camera

They have somehow come back from the brink, having won the Dpreview "Camera of the Year for 2012" with the E-M5. And I will bet that the E-M1 will be a strong contender for that honor in 2013.

After having seemingly abandoned their 4/3 customers, they have created a camera that will provide reasonably fast AF with their 4/3 lenses. I doubted they would ever create "one beautiful system" but it sure looks like they finally did it.

I like their new products. I like the direction they are taking. I like how aggressive they are about fleshing out the 4/3 lens catalog. They never seem to sit still, they even improve great features like IBIS to make it work on five axises.

They have managed to keep quality problems minor and almost non-existent. They still have a rubber eye piece that falls off... but they haven't had any problems with oil and debris on senors (Nikon D600), mysterious light leaks (Canon 5D III), rubber grips peeling off (Canon Rebels and 60D), or focus issues on the left half of the frame (Nikon D800).

I just hope all of this will result in profitability for the imaging division again.

And I think this will happen, because they are not discounting as much as they used to. And while I don't like paying extra for a lens hood, if this is what it takes to make them profitable then I will accept it.

Olympus..... job well done.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow