Has anyone actually chosen to use the 24-85 VR as their primary lens on FF?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tamasine
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Has anyone actually chosen to use the 24-85 VR as their primary lens on FF?
11 months ago

I've just bought the 24-85 VR for my D600 as I wanted a mid-range zoom that would offer very good performance at a lighter weight and have vibration reduction.

I had read some reviews that said it was really good in the centre but that performance tailed off as you hit the corners. I thought (and hoped) that maybe some reviews were too picky to be valid in the real world, and when you view prints at 5ft+ away.

I'm hoping I didn't make a bad decision and that the lens is a worthy partner for the D600. I normally shoot landscapes, city scenes, buildings, and still life. I also use the 50mm f1.8G and the 70-300 VR.  I want to print at fairly large sizes so I need a decent lens.  I realise that the 24-70 f2.8 is the natural choice but it's just too big and heavy to carry around for me, plus I value VR when shooting in museums when I cannot use a tripod.

My question is does anyone like the lens enough to choose to use it as their main lens, before any of the primes or the 24-70 f2.8?

Some reviews I've read (e.g. Lenstip) really don't make me feel any better about my choice.

Thanks guys

T

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow