Will Nikon be out of business in 5 years?

Started Oct 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,231Gear list
Like?
Re: Will Nikon be out of business in 5 years?
In reply to Jeff, Oct 29, 2013

Jeff wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Jeff wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

Jeff_Donald wrote:

Just something to think about when a company is so "invested" in just one business and not diversified.

You have been terribly misinformed. Perhaps you should read their financial statements for yourself rather than a blog written with a competitor agenda.

I don't understand your point. What have you gleaned from the financial reports that leads you to a different conclusion?

They do not just make cameras. They are more diversified than the blog would lead you to believe.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

I think the concern of the IDC analyst that about 75% of Nikon's revenues come from their imaging division. (The article claimed 78%, but I saw 74.4% in the 2013 annual report).

Or did you have a different point?

Compared to other financial statements I have looked at they seem to be riding the storm out. They have three other divisions other than imaging that are profitable They have only one loss year in the last 10 and that was 2010. Cost of sales as a per cent of sales was 7% higher than the average of the other 9 years. Not sure why but if cost of sales in 2010 had been the same per cent as other years they would have had a profit in all 10 years.

If they have not considered market saturation and a longer lifespan for their product, they could have problems. This will be a problem for a lot of camera companies. Just like computers, you no longer need a new one every year.

Of course any company can go bankrupt. GM was the largest corporation on the planet and without a bailout they would have gone bankrupt.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow