Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,424Gear list
Like?
Challenging "the 55-210 is "soft" at 210/f6.3" - Check these OOC jpegs
9 months ago

OK, so I am into details most people never notice about the world's great cathedrals, synagogues and mosques - these are gargoyles that function as drain pipes from the roof gutters of Prague's St. Vitus cathedral. Next time you visit a great cathedral, pay attention to these details. They reflect the incredible attention to detail the architects paid to these structures hundreds of years ago.

As I prepared to edit the RAW files, I just noticed that they were all shot wide open and 210mm on my 55-210mm zoom. Before I bought it, I repeatedly heard on the forum that this lens was "soft" at 210mm. And in some copies, in the hands of others, it may be.

Check the originals. 210mm @ f6.3 is arguably the worst focal length and aperture for this lens. What you see is likely to be the worst you can expect from it.

This lens may be poor for those who value the confidence that comes from shooting what they know is the pinnacle of optical perfection; at least some of them will tell you these images are "soft."

But this is a (relatively) cheap kit lens that for many of us is as much as we choose to invest in a zoom for a fun camera.

I wish I could justify buy a pinnacle-quality lens. If you, like me, have other priorities that challenge the budget that you can spend on accessory lenses,  I hope these images give you the confidence to believe you can get at least this quality from the 55-210.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow