Will Nikon be out of business in 5 years?

Started Oct 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
SomebodyFamous
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Re: More like returning to pre-digital sales levels!
In reply to GodSpeaks, Oct 28, 2013

GodSpeaks wrote:

Everyone keeps talking about dropping dSLR sales, but what people forget is before digital there was a LOT more competition, and people kept their cameras for decades instead of months...we are just starting to return to that trend where people kept their cameras longer, and Nikon (like every other brand) will have to get used to the bloated sales returning to normal levels!

I agree. Digital has now reached the point where it is more than good enough for 99.9% of users.

In fact, digital now is way better than film every was, especially for the masses.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

I agree. I would put 8 megapixels up against anything Pan F could do.

For most casual users, 1.3 megapixels is sufficient. It's big enough for a 6x4 and big enough for a computer display. It's certainly big enough to put on a website.

We are at the point where all cameras are equally good and where megapixels are now largely irrelevant.

What they call a slump is indeed a return to normal. The camera companies like the phone companies just milked the market for all it was worth. Now everybody that wants a camera has one and has one of adequate resolution. We're now not upgrading blindly to the next whizzo thing but using what we have. This is partly driven by the economic depression and partly by people not seeing a point in almost throwing away their camera and buying new when it will already do more than they could possibly want.

-- hide signature --

I take photos for my own pleasure. I write books for my own pleasure too. If people buy them then fine. If not then I don't really care. The fun was in writing them. Income is just icing on top of the cake.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
nNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow