Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NYCphotoman
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
The Original Quantum Turbo Battery
9 months ago

One of my flash systems is the Quantum variety. I have the X5Dr, the T5Dr and the Trio.

The battery pack I am finding to be the best is the original Quantum Turbo battery which is no longer produced. The Turbo 3 and the Turbo 2x2 are better in terms of capacity and flash recycle time, but once the NIMH batteries inside those packs are spent then its time for a very expensive and time consuming replacement. When you send anything to Quantum, it takes 4 weeks to get it back and its expensive at that. In comparison, it is very cheap and easy to replace the lead acid battery in the original Quantum battery.

Lead acid batteries will not charge fast unlike NIMH which is the one real disadvantage. The Turbo 2x2 can be quickcharged in 1.5 hours by plugging in to rechargers. The original Quantum battery cannot be charged so quickly.

The other night I was at event and a Turbo 2x2 was powering my Trio then I got the dreaded "Check Turbo" message. My Turbo 2x2 was going out while in the middle of an event. Fortunately, I have 8 original Turbos, 3 Turbo 2x2s and a Turbo SC so I wasnt concerned. I just switched. However, knowing how these Turbo 2x2s simply dont have the longevity of the Original Turbo I am more inclined to buy used or reconditioned original Turbo batteries then buy a Turbo 2x2 or Turbo 3. The original Turbo battery will get me through an event just as well as the Turbo 2x2 or Turbo 3.  I am NEVER on full power, but more like using an 1/8 or 1/16 so the flashes recycle very quickly as a result.  Capacity isnt a problem when you are using less than a 1/4 on each shot.

After last night, Im going to add one more AC system. I have one AC system, but Im going to acquire one more AC system for my T5Drs and an additional one for my X5Dr. Last night I was using AC power for my X5Dr, but battery power for my other two T5Drs and of course for my Trio on camera. Going forward I think Im going to rely on AC power whenever possible.  As a rule of thumb, AC power is preferable whenever that option exists.  Sometimes outlets are not available or it isnt safe to drap wires across the floor.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow