How does Fuji compare to Full Frame?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,911Gear list
Like?
Re: How does Fuji compare to Full Frame?
In reply to dirkluchtman, 9 months ago
The Canon 70D is sensational when it comes to overall operation, but the image quality lets down, with very limited dynamic range. For this reason, I am willing to go back to FF. The 6D is a good alternative (although I would sorely miss the brilliant video autofocus of the 70D), but I heard that the Fuji x trans sensors come close to FF quality.

You may wait for the X-E2 to be available, it will be faster in operation than the first generation bodies. I had a 5d2 for years and also a Nikon d700, my virtually only used camera in 2013 was the Fuji X-E1 including pics at a babtism, a musical and theatre.

In comparision to the 5d2 you loose a bit resolution and of course the FF look of a bigger sensor. AF of those lower FF bodies (5d/ 6d) is maybe a bit faster, but less precise.

What you gain over Canon is: Dynamic range, colour and the sensational JPEG quality which often is all you will need once you learned how to properly expose the frames.

The X-Trans sensor relies on the Sony 16MP sensor base which has a very solid DR - about 1,5 stops better than the APS-c Canon sensor and still better than all Canon FF sensors.

DR and shadow noise are Canon's Achilles' heels. I once had a EOS650d for a week before I resold it because of constantly blown out highlights.

So yes, Fuji X are a compromise (just like Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.), however one that I really love to shoot with.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow