K01, who is "ugly" now?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,450Gear list
Like?
Re: All manufacturers MTFs graphs look brilliant...
In reply to marike6, 11 months ago

marike6 wrote:

viking79 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

At least on a Nikon or Canon FF you can mount a $200 50 f/1.8 with terrific optics. 1000 USD for a 55 f/1.8 normal lens??? Yikes.

The New Nikon 58mm f/1.4 is $1700 US and is not a better performer. I agree the new 55mm f/1.8 is on the high side, but it is also a much more expensive lens design than a $200 50mm f/1.8, it is a much better lens than those lenses (more comparable to a Leica).

http://dearsusans.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/166-are-the-new-zeiss-sony-lenses-for-the-a7-camera-too-expensive/

Eric

Wow, you are really drinking the manufacturers MTF Kool-aid. Sony has not shipped a single 55 f/1.8 yet you are already telling people which lenses it's better than based on its manufacturer MTFs or some Wordpress blog post?

No, I am making the point lenses cost varying amounts. I am making the point that you shouldn't be judging the lenses price before you have used it.

When someone actually tests new 55 f/1.8 on an optical bench we'll see it performs about the same as most other 50s. BUT I'd bet anything like ALL mirrorless lenses it doesn't optically correct for distortion and vignetting like ALL DSLR lenses are, meaning the optical engineers had a MUCH easier time designing it having only resolution, coma and astigmatism to worry about. So no, a lens that uses software correction is not "more expensive to design".

This is not true at all. Not all mirrorless lenses are designed like that. I guarantee this is an optically correct lens and is the reason it is so expensive. Actually, until recent all Sony lenses were optically corrected (even the tiny 16mm f/2.8, granted it is no good).

Fuji lenses are also optically correct (at least their good ones).

And the new Nikon 58 f/1.4 is too expensive for a normal lens, BUT it has a faster max aperture and a much better build quality including a distance scale, something ALL lenses at such a high price point should have.

Why? They are notoriously inaccurate anyway. Why would you think it has a better build quality? The Zeiss is all metal. The Nikon looks just like their really cheap 1.8 G lenses (I bet the 1.4 is metal, but it doesn' tlook any different). A half stop is hardly faster.

But my point is cost of ownership matters for most amateurs. Professionals may be able to justify a $1000 f/1.8 normal lens, most amateurs cannot. Nor would they be well served by such lenses when they are much faster max aperture lenses for less.

Not all amateurs lack money. Many Leica users are amateurs, but they buy them because they want to buy the best.

Same as above for Sony's $1200 f4 standard zoom. My Nikon 70-200 f4 VR was only $200 more than the Sony 24-70 f4, to give you an idea of how ridiculously priced the Sony standard zoom is. The Nikkor 70-200 f4 VR is an expensive lens for sure, but it's a 70-200mm telephoto zoom.

Why are you comparing a 70-200mm f/4 with a 24-70mm f/4? The new Sony G 70-200mm f/4 for mirrorless is unknown price, but I think it is supposed to be about the same as the 70-200mm f/4 Nikkor.

The Sony f4 standard zoom is beyond expensive. And don't bother looking up MTFs for the f4 zoom or telling me about some blue sticker. My RX100 has a blue sticker too, before it fell off.

The Nikon and Canon 24-120mm and 24-105mm f/4 are also the same price. The price isn't that high.

I know the Sony lenses are on the expensive side, but they are no worse than Pentax over priced primes for example: A 43mm f/1.9 for $750 US (that is a much simpler optic design than new Sony 55mm f/1.8)?  Or better yet, the SMCP 77mm f/1.9 for $1050 US?  Point is that the Sony 55mm f/1.8 is right in that same range and the price is on par too (and it has 3 aspheric elements as well, which add to cost).

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow