Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 44,488Gear list
Like?
Re: It's not a "yes" or "no" proposition
In reply to Tony Beach, 11 months ago

Lee Jay wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Removing the AA filter gets you, at best, 30% more equivalent pixel count, but it means you can't trust your images to show what was actually there, and it means you might get some very, very ugly and false artifacts that are obvious at any scale.

This was argued extensively when the D800 and D800E came out. There was lots of angst among early adopters about which way to go, but now that people have actually used these cameras the consensus is overwhelmingly in favor of the D800E with no AA filter because its files are just cleaner and show more resolution at wider apertures.

Nikon has seen this play out and that's why you can't get a D7100 with an AA filter -- period. Likewise Sony has done the same with their A7r. As sensor resolution increases this is going to be a completely moot discussion and all cameras will no longer have AA filters.

I agree but we need another factor of 10 more pixel count first.

No, you obviously do not agree, neither with me nor with Nikon and Sony. Fact is, we are already there in a practical way with 36 MP 135 format and even more so with 24 MP APS-C format. This will be a complete non-issue not at 10x the pixel count of the current cameras, but more like the 2x the pixel count of the current cameras.

Nikon and Sony are dead wrong and I would not buy one of their non-AA cameras because of it.

Whatever dude. Please show us some examples of where the lack of an AA filter ruined photos with the D800E.  As Reilly pointed out, he hasn't used the software to correct any aliasing in his photos, and his experience is widespread. Thom Hogan uses the D800E, and I take Thom's opinions and experience far more seriously than your opinions and non-experience (with real cameras in the real world).

I shoot with cameras that have AA filters but I have been sent moire-filled images from others and asked to correct them which is not really possible.
--
Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow