Tony Beach
Senior MemberPosts: 4,736
Like?
Re: Wrong way, Corrigan.
In reply to Lee Jay, 9 months ago

Lee Jay wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

In another couple of years, no camera worth owning will have an AA filter, so I suggest the aliasing police get used to processing the output correctly, and enjoying the superior microcontrast and detail easily available.

You cannot fix the aliasing caused by insufficient sampling combined with no optical low-pass filter. You either have to have a filter or you have to have sufficient pixel density for diffraction to act as the filter at all f-stops. That's a lot of pixels (hundreds of megapixels to gigapixels depending on sensor size and f-stop required).

Reilly is absolutely right here, and the writing is on the wall for all to see (see my reply below posted a couple of minutes ago). Your argument that we need gigapixels of resolution is ludicrous because we are talking about the real world (rather than a fantasy or theoretical world) where lenses, technique, and software make exceeding Nyquist frequency at far lower resolutions then you propose a non-issue.

I have shot pixel-sharp shots at the full frame equivalent of 184MP, and that's with slow and very long lenses. With faster and shorter lenses it would be much easier and I could do far better.

Equivalences are theoretical and not practical.  When you say you are working with equivalences then you are saying you are not working with the same focal lengths or in the real world where those focal lengths will impose real world limitations on how well your pixels are resolved.

Until we're above 200MP on full frame, and possibly more, I want an AA filter.

You will not have one long before that, and neither you nor anyone is going to miss it in real world use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow