In praise of AA filters

Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 45,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Wait a minute: Foveon example not so aliased after all...
In reply to crames, Oct 27, 2013

crames wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

Newton's rings (purple and green) center-right. Z-shaped artifacts lower right corner. Shallow diagonal lines center lower-right, center upper and upper right. Green and purple diagonal lines center, left and center left lower. 45° upper-left to lower-right white fragments bottom middle. Steep diagonal lines lower-right along with more purple-green lines. Blurry splotch lower-left. Blurry diagonal lines combined with purple in the center. 45° diagonal lines upper left in two places.

Etc.

I see, you want to call any image artifact "aliasing" on this jpeg that's been around the block.

Those are the ones that look like aliasing to me.  Of course, there's no way to know as aliasing is impossible to separate from real image detail.  That's the problem with it - it can't be removed once it's been sampled because it's mixed in with the real thing.

It's easier to see other artifacts after all the reconstruction error is removed. What happened to the other 90% of the "entire thing is full of jaggies, false detail and patterns that don't exist"?

I think I just pointed out quite a number of them, and I didn't point out the jaggies on nearly every line.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow