Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,078Gear list
Like?
Leica M Monochrom - help me understand
11 months ago

This question has been bugging me for a long time now, and I still don't understand the decision apparently made by Leica management.

As I understand the Leica M9 and Leica M Monochrom both have more or less the same "18 MP" sensor, with the Monochrom losing the RGB filter that is one of the toppings in the M9. So to the best of my knowledge, the sensor still records 18Mx4 pixels = 72MP, but in the Monochrom, these are then binned down to 18MP. With Leica lenses not usually described as lacking in sharpness, I don't understand why anyone would do that - give you 18MP output for a 72MP sensor.

I'm not sure what downsampling algorithm Leica used, and even if it was the best one currently available, I wonder if this isn't a case where a RAW image should be processed as little as possible (leaving it at 72MP which should be the same size as an M9 raw file), to allow reprocessing existing photographs when software improvements become available.

What am I missing, or did Leica just miss an opportunity?

-- hide signature --

The unforgiving deserve no apology.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow