Started Oct 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Elite83
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
"No photography permitted"
Oct 27, 2013

I attended a concert tonight, and completely missed a sign that said "No photography or video recording permitted." In the crazy mob shoving to get in, the little paper sign was not even visible. Anyway, halfway through the concert a guy told me to put my camera away, photos are not permitted. I was polite and admitted I had not seen the sign and put my little old NEX 5 away.

I understand the reasoning completely. Some artists aren't comfortable with having pictures taken, or venues have copyright policies they have to adhere to. Even more so for video, recording the thing (with audio, obviously) is direct copyright violation of the music.

Now for the good part.

For reference, I was in the front row (standing room).

Right next to me, there were three people with iPhones, very clearly holding out their iPhones recording whole concert and no one said anything--at all.

This makes me sick.

Cell phone cameras are so high quality these days that they easily replace most point and shoots.

But the fact that these people are so blatantly recording the show... which if you ask me is "worse" than just snapping some pictures... and they got away with it. That is beyond me.

Point is, as cell phones catch up with cameras (think Nokia Lumia) how are these "old fashioned" rules going to hold up? Or will they just stay grossly unbalanced like they currently are--penalizing camera users?

-- hide signature --

-Matt

Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow