EM1 Shutter Shock - I know, people are tired of shutter shock but..... Locked

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
Michael Kilpatrick
Contributing MemberPosts: 945Gear list
EM1 Shutter Shock - I know, people are tired of shutter shock but.....
9 months ago

I took my EM1 for its first real outing yesterday, taking a lot of shots with my Oly 9-18.

I was very disappointed when I got home to see a lot of images with vertical ghosting, the worst being those with a shutter speed of 1/250 sec. With the 9-18, that shutter speed should be completely safe for handholding, with or without IBIS.

Here is a 100% crop, just an example taken from my front door with some fine horizontal lines. One of the cables actually is a double cable wrapped around itself. The others are not:

Here is the same scene, same shutter speed, same focal length, same lens, with my EM5 (which I was going to sell, but am now reconsidering). ISOs are different (100 and 200) but that's irrelevant here:

It's not that one is out of focus - I was careful with focus for both shots and could post dozens of similar examples from each camera. My EM1 consistently produces images like this, at this shutter speed.

Before anyone tells me not to pixel peep, the blur in the EM1 shot is obvious, even at quite a low resolution.

IBIS on or off makes no difference.

"Anti Shock" engaged, with a delay of 1/8 sec reduces, but does not completely fix the problem. I don't want to have to shoot with Anti Shock all the time anyway. Sometimes that short delay can be critical.

It's worse with small, light lenses such as the 9-18.

I returned the camera to the shop where I bought it this morning (Ted's in Melbourne), with these examples on my laptop. At first the salesman was snooty - "Well, the EM1 shot isn't sharp! What do you expect?". Deep breath. "I know, that is exactly the point that I'm making". He sulked off to the back of the shop with the camera, but eventually came back all smiles, having apparently reproduced the problem. Didn't apologise though.

They're going to replace the camera, but don't have one in stock at the moment.

Has anyone else seen this? I'm hoping it's not a general problem, as I really like the EM1 otherwise, particularly the ergonomics and the greatly improved continuous AF.

-- hide signature --

Michael Kilpatrick
www.pbase.com/mrk03

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow