Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,662Gear list
Like?
SZ-30MR - A Tall Ships Festival
6 months ago

The radio said the ships would be arriving at 2 pm, in drizzly weather. The web site said 1 pm, so that is when I took up my position on Mount Victoria, in drizzle weather.

The early shots before entering the Rangitoto Channel show more detail than similar images I took on the SP-570UZ at similar distances during the Louis Vuitton Races a few years ago.

But I don't have to prove I was there at a particular time, so here is the OSTERSCHELDE when she was closer, taken without the B-300, and less moisture between me and the Tall Ship -

I did an awful lot of dynamic range expansion in PSE7 'Levels', and corrected for less BLUE in the highlights.

Here is the PICTON CASTLE at a rakish angle, still partially under sail -

By this time the ships had rounded North Head.

Here is the EUROPA -

I took a lot of video, which has much wind noise in it, and I have not started editing it yet.

The 12 pictures I put up start on this gallery page -

http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/henry104&page=6

There was a welcoming party of the sail training ship SPIRIT OF NEW ZEALAND, a New Zealand navy frigate and a Maori Waka under sail.

The festival finishes tomorrow, with a procession out, hopefully under full sail.

Right now the ships are tied up on Queens Wharf and Princes Wharf, receiving tourists and locals for viewing the insides. The queues were too long for me yesterday, but I am heading back in soon after I finish this.

Had a quick look at the videos just now. There is the odd shudder where the wind shook the tripod, but the noise is not as bad as I expected. Looks like the firmware writer anticipated this situation. With visitors in our place also (nothing to do with the festival), I did not quite have the time to get the SH-50 iHS. Besides, it is probably better to rely on the SZ-30MR for this unrepeatable event, since I am familiar with that work horse of two years standing.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SZ-30MR Olympus SH-50
Olympus SZ-30MR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow