Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Benro ballheads
11 months ago

I sending back a Benro C2682TV2 tripod I just bought.  The tripod was very rigid but I found the V2 ballhead too frustrating to live with.

The problem with the head was that it seemed like the drag could not be set low enough.  It was very difficult to make fine adjustments.  Once I applied enough force to break the ball free it would move further than I wanted.  On the V series head there is not separate knobs for locking the head and adjusting drag.  Drag is adjusted by setting a dial inside that locking knob to limit how far loose it will be when set to open.  It looked like I could not set this dial as far as needed to prevent the ball from sticking.  There is a scale from 0 to 12 showing how tightly the ball is locked.  I could not set mine lower than 1.5.

Has anyone else had experience with a Benro V series head?

Do the Benro B series heads with a separate drag control have a similar problem?

Does anyone has any suggestions for a rigid tripod that weighs around 4 pounds or less with head and costs less than $600?

My camera is a Sony NEX.  It is light and has a electronic first curtain shutter which means there is no mechanical motion to create blur until the shutter closes.  So normally I could get by with a lighter tripod.  I bought a heavier model because I sometimes use it with an old manual focus Canon FD 300mm f4 L lens and want to be sure I had enough tripod.  The one I am sending back seemed more than stable enough so if someone has a lighter recommendation I am open to that too.

But I absolutely want a head that can be easily adjusted and does not droop.  And the tripod has to be able to rigid enough to prevent motion blur with a 300mm lens on an APS-C camera.  If that means I am going to have to buy a $300+ head on $600+ legs I may have to reconsider if I really need a tripod but I am not going to settle for less.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow