I want to know what y'all think about this.....

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ChanSeuse14
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
I want to know what y'all think about this.....
11 months ago

Hi,

I walked into our local Best Buy, since this is the only place i feel and try out camera's, they have a very tiny end of an isle for Sony NEX camera's and a whole lot a space for DSLR's and PnS cameras. I got talking to the woman in charge of the camera dept. I like to go in there and talk about camera's because I don't have a lot of camera enthusiasts around me. I go to the Southeaster camera supply sometimes and talk with them, but they are a little elitist for me, and if you don't know what you are talking about they assume you are a dummy and you don't know your ISO's from your F-stops, and questions are a mere waste of time. So I don't go there often.

I asked the woman at best buy, it used to be a guy who was awesome, but he got a photography job that is permanent and quit BB, I was bummed because he was so very helpful and i felt like he gave his time to help consumers get the most for their money.

This new woman is a DSLR user and is still learning about the mirrorless technology. I ask her if she sells many of them, she replied "Not many, but enough to keep in stock." i asked her if a lot of people come in looking for high quality camera's that shoot great pictures and want to up their game from PandS cameras. She said "Yes, i usually direct them to a Nikon or Canon entry level DSLR, they think the size matters and all the buttons an dials don't matter they will learn the someday."

I asked why she never sends them over to the NEX line, i say it has the same sensor as some of those big cameras. And the response i got from her made me think, she said; "Most people just want to have a great camera and put it on Auto and then just shoot away, one that is best for low light. With the NEX system you can do that too, but you have to learn how to use it right away, it takes time, with a DSLR it is easier to get that action shot, to get that sunset colors, it is easier to learn how to use a camera from that stand point then to buy it and learn how to use it as a tool.

I thought, hmmm, that is an interesting point, maybe that is why the NEX line is not a huge seller, it looks like a point and shoot but it can grab shots like a DSLR but you have to work at it a little more.Maybe the NEX line was not consumer friendly and Sony thought about that, consumers want a DSLR body and don't trust something smaller to be as good.

What are your thoughts on that? Do people want DSLR's because they are easy to learn on and work with, and fear the Mirrorless camera system because it might be to complicated, and how can something so small work so well?

I have only had old manual SLR's long time ago, then i went to Mirrorless because i liked the size and my research showed it was not much different from the mighty ever popular DSLR. This is the system i wanted to buy into, I am new at photography but i know enough to be interested and want to learn more, so your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

Chancey.

ChanSeuse14's gear list:ChanSeuse14's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow