Started Oct 26, 2013 | Questions thread
Steve D4 RX 1
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
Re: Boot Drive Failing on Mac Pro
In reply to Basalite, Oct 26, 2013

Basalite wrote:

Steve D4 RX 1 wrote:

I have a 2006 1.1 Mac Pro with a boot disk that is failing. Started it this morning and got a disk utility screen that gave me options to restore from back up or . . .? I van't remember the options but I thought the drive was fried. Shut down and restarted and same thing. Waited a bit and the third try it booted up and is still running. I haven;t turned it off and copied anything that wasn't backed up to an external drive.

I bought a new WD Performance SATA drive to install. I have the boot and one other internal drive in now. I Googled looking for the procedure to replace the old drive, as in reinstall the OS Lion, and apps. I downloaded the Lion OS but have Snow Leopard on disk. MY only other important applications are Adobe CC applications.

Any link to a how to would be appreciated.

To keep it simple just use your Snow Leopard disc and then upgrade to Lion afterwards. Follow this video. After Lion is installed reinstall your Adobe and other apps.

http://youtu.be/NhLUcng-kog

-- hide signature --

Best,
Steve

If my computer happens to restart after installing the new drive can I follow the steps below to clone the drive to the new one? Found this on the Mac Forums, sounds easy if my old drive boots up.

thanks for the quick answer. Much appreciated.

Install the new drive in any of the open slots. Boot from your startup drive then do the following:

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder.
2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.
3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.
4.Check the box labeled Erase destination.
5. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it to the Destination entry field.
6. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to the Source entry field.
7. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the new hard drive.
Source means the current startup drive.

After cloning open Startup Disk, select the new drive system, click on the Restart button.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow