Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
agogo
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
Tried the EM1 with my 300/2.8 today. Disappointing :-(
11 months ago

I've been eagerly on the lookout for any reports on the AF performance of the EM1 with the big tuna, and noted Fleabags' findings in his post, as well as some others.

I went to the camera store today to try out the AF with the 300/2.8 and feel a bit let down by Oly.

I've invested a lot of $$ in 4/3 glass and think that we should have a camera that focuses (at least the big lenses - haven't tried my others) properly - at least as good as the E5.

Ok the camera store was dimly lit and I didn't get much time to fiddle with settings but I'm not feeling too optimistic about the set up.
The AF was sluggish and took too many readjustments before locking on. I don't know if this would be better in better light, but it wasn't anything to write home about.
Another issue- which BigGa started that thread about- is the focusing on horizontal subject matter. I tried to focus on picture frames and shelves and it wouldn't lock until I angled the camera.
I also tried the EC14 and it was the same. I used the MM2 adapter (don't know if there is a difference in performance with MM3).
Another really concerning thing is the 'rattlesnaking' thing. My lens Has NEVER done that before. Is this potentially damaging to the lens?
Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, but Oly should have given us an E7 to tie us over until the on-sensor PDAF is at least as good (should be better) than the E5; even if just the new sensor, etc in the E5 body.
Anyway, rant over. I'll keep looking out for Fleagags and others findings as they further explore and fine tune the camera/lens combo. I might even try again in a better lit camera store soon.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
mpeman MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow