OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 21,952
Like?
I think you need to learn a little about photography.
In reply to Michael Kaufman, 9 months ago

Michael Kaufman wrote:

larsbc wrote:

Michael Kaufman wrote:

The idea is that in bright sunlight, you sometimes have to open your lens wider in order to get a correct exposure with your camera's maximum shutter speed. Sometimes doing this makes you DOF too narrow for whatever it is you are trying to take a picture of.

In this situation, a smaller sensor is an advantage because of its larger DOF at a given aperture.

You can add also a ND filter to fix this in the larger sensor, but you don't have to with the smaller sensor.

I think you might have things backwards. Adding an ND filter will require you to open your aperture wider, thereby narrowing your DoF.

Think of the case where you want to take a shot at F4 to have sufficient DOF for your composition. Its so bright that you need a 1/8000 shutter speed. Your camera only goes to 1/2000, so you shoot a F2 and 1/2000 instead and have a narrower DOF then you want.

Um, no.  You would shoot f/8, not f/2.  As explained, you are getting things exactly backwards.

You could add a 2 stop ND filter and go back to F4 and 1/2000, or if you had a smaller sensor, you could shoot at F2 and have sufficient DOF.

I think that's right.

It is not.

IMO the increased DoF argument applies more for low light scenarios.

It also works in low light. Sometimes its an advantage to be able to get more DOF at a wider F-stop.

The full-framers' retort, though, is that they can shoot at higher ISOs which means they can still use smaller apertures to get the same DoF as the m43 camera shooting wide open.

It's not a "retort", but what a competent photographer would do.

I wasn't arguing one way or the other, I was just explaining why someone might be happy with more DOF.

Please spend a little time understanding your error.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow