OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 22,421
Like?
Nope.
In reply to Michael Kaufman, 9 months ago

Michael Kaufman wrote:

Rob Sims wrote:

I'm not trolling here, but why is 'increased' DoF used so often as a positive? Surely you can just reduce you aperture size (don't most lenses go up to F22?)? Is it purely because you can get away with using a lower ISO at the same shutter speeds? Or am I missing something? Perhaps someone can kindly explain this one to me.

The idea is that in bright sunlight, you sometimes have to open your lens wider in order to get a correct exposure with your camera's maximum shutter speed. Sometimes doing this makes you DOF too narrow for whatever it is you are trying to take a picture of.

Eh?  If anything, in bright sunlight, you would have to stop your lens down to avoid overexposure, and this would deepen the DOF, not make it more narrow.

In this situation, a smaller sensor is an advantage because of its larger DOF at a given aperture.

Exactly the opposite, actually.

You can add also a ND filter to fix this in the larger sensor, but you don't have to with the smaller sensor.

Again, exactly the opposite.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow