Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
perhort
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
Re: Get going on the D400 and the 7DII
In reply to peevee1, Oct 25, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

But, there are some types of photography that the dSLR has a major technical advantage and simply can't be shot well with less capable cameras such as shooting action. Doesn't it seem odd that Nikon is not making cameras that leverage one of the biggest advantages of dSLRs (speed of focus and action tracking at high fps in bad light conditions)?

It was a temporary advantage which existed before development of good OSPDAF. OSPDAF (in mirrorless camera) has many principal advantages over DSLR-style separate PDAF, including ability to work with more light (no need to share light with viewfinder and separate metering sensors), precision (what you have on the main sensor is what you are going to get in the image), reliability (no misalignments ever, less parts to break...), cost (no precision assembly, just a chip - the same one for image taking), size, weight, working in video, no need to flip mirror for high-speed shooting (and no associated noise, vibrations, reliability problems), and what has not been realized yet (except in video) but can be - continuous tracking DURING exposure. Olympus E-M1 has already better PDAF than their own top DSLR (E-5), Canon 70D in OSPDAF mode has better AF than in mirrored mode with its top-of-the line APS-C AF system taken straight from 7D (read reviews). TODAY.

And EVFs today have bigger, brighter views than even FF OVFs, with very adequate 240Hz refresh rate and negligible 25ms delay, with many unique advantages OVFs can never have - WYSIWYG (white balance, crop - with enlargement, ISO noise etc), working in video, brightness boost in dark conditions, tilting (in some cases), live histograms, focus distance, DoF scales and many other shooting information types, overexposure/underexposure preview (blinkies and/or zebra), many focusing aids - enlargements in various steps, focus peaking display and/or "electronic rangefinder" display, instant view of a photo taken without switching to the screen (which might not be visible in bright sun and simply takes more time) and back to VF, preview of IBIS (which itself can correct what OIS cannot and removes the need to have OIS in every lens), safety to shoot with sun in the frame (you are not going blind with EVF)... People denying all those advantages are simply deluding themselves. The only REAL advantage OVF has is battery life (but not as much as some people think comparing DSLRs with mirrorless - DSLRs in most cases simply have bigger batteries.

True in every way. And then I go to a store and I pick up a Sony NEX-7 and look through the view finder and I say: thanks, but no thanks. What I think is underestimated is that it is simply more pleasurable to look through an OVF. The AF/metering technology of DSLRs are clearly good enough. All this real time shooting aid/information is largely redundant. Modern meters are so good that I never worry about the exposure. If there is a problem it can easily be fixed in post. There is no time to look at a histogram et c. when shooting. So for 80 percent of the time, I would want to use the OVF. For critical work, however, I would want to have the advantages that EVF/on sensor technology can bring. This is why I think it necessary for Nikon to develop a hybrid view finder. A camera that accommodates the advantages of both the OVF and the EVF will be tough to beat.

Maybe cameras are like watches. Digital watches are clearly superior to mechanical ones. They can measure time in one hundredth of a second, have timer and alarm, stopwatch with double lap times, calculators, they cost a fraction of mechanical ones. Yet people still buy those expensive Swiss watches because they measure time well enough and are much more pleasurable to use.

perhort's gear list:perhort's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow