Will the V2 go down to 299 like the V1 did?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Todd3608
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?
Re: Will the V2 go down to 299 like the V1 did?
In reply to iamthenewguy, 10 months ago

There are lots of positive opinions around here on the V1 and outdated is really not a concern for me.  Heck, I still like using my Kodak P880.

The concern for me was budget more than anything and the used V1 prices will allow me to try out the system without investing a large amount up front.  If the prices lower for the V2, I could sell the V1 body and buy the V2 body only without losing hardly anything.

iamthenewguy wrote:

Todd3608 wrote:

I wonder if the V2 will hit 299 soon like the V1 did last year? I got tired of waiting and just purchased the V1.

Electronics always come down in price once the next version is announced so yes, at some point there will be a price drop on the V2. But, and it's just my opinion, I don't think that the V2 will have as big of a price drop as the V1. The V1 lacked too many things to be considered a flagship model: no direct control without menu diving, lack of PASM dial, no built in flash, and so on.

This is also the reason I think Nikon announced the V2 so quickly after the V1, they realized their design choices followed form too much for the people they were targeting the V line to. Since the V2 ticks most of the boxes that initial reviewers criticized the V1 about, when the V3 is announced I would assume that it's just going to have small ergonomic refinements but the main draw will be an improved sensor. So in short, it'll be much more like a m4/3 update (EP-3 to EP-5) and will decrease the purchase price of the V2 but I not to firesale prices.

If you really wanted a V2 (and I really recommend the V2 over the V1) why not purchase the V2 now? You're spending $299 on a good but outdated camera and you are making a compromise. Once the V2's price goes down, even if it gets down to $299 for body only, you'll be spending around the same amount over the price of the two cameras and you don't get to enjoy the V2 until an unknown date.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow