MagFilter Circular Polarizer Filter a disaster!

Started Oct 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lacarp53
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
MagFilter Circular Polarizer Filter a disaster!
Oct 25, 2013

A couple of months ago I purchased a Canon G15 camera for a trip overseas.  I wanted a small, quality camera for the trip.  I looked around quite a bit on the internet for the different options for a Circular Polarizer that would maintain the compact profile of the camera, I settled on the MagFilter magnetically attached filter.  It attaches to the camera lens by applying a peal & stick anchoring ring to the face of the lens.  Then the filter just drops onto it via a magnet.  Sounds simple, right?

WRONG!  It was but a matter of 4 or 5 days before the adhesive on the ring started to soften & slowly migrate out of place on my lens.  At first it was just slightly off center, but a couple of days later I would open up the case & the ring was a full 1/4-1/2" out of place.  This happened with increasing rapidity as it spread the adhesive residue across the face of the housing framing in my lens.  Imagine how annoying it is to go to frame up a shot & seeing the ring obscuring the frame & goo-ily resisting being repositioned properly.  After a week I peeled the first adhesive ring off & replaced it with the second one provided with the filter, but the adhesive mess just gave it a track to slide in & it was every bit as bad as the first placement.

As soon as I retuned to the States I contacted the manufacturer & explained the problem.  They requested photos of the problem.  After seeing them they wanted to send me a replacement.  I did not want another session of goo-photography & got a full refund.  That much is to their credit.  But I am still left with an adhesive smeared mess on my new camera.  I have to carefully experiment with mild solvents to try to remove the mess.

The point here is to warn others not to buy this product.  I am an engineer by trade.  They use a completely inadequate adhesive for this application.  Do not buy this - RUN AWAY!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow