OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,601Gear list
Like?
increased DOF
In reply to Rob Sims, 9 months ago

Rob Sims wrote:

I'm not trolling here, but why is 'increased' DoF used so often as a positive? Surely you can just reduce you aperture size (don't most lenses go up to F22?)? Is it purely because you can get away with using a lower ISO at the same shutter speeds? Or am I missing something? Perhaps someone can kindly explain this one to me.

The idea is that in bright sunlight, you sometimes have to open your lens wider in order to get a correct exposure with your camera's maximum shutter speed. Sometimes doing this makes you DOF too narrow for whatever it is you are trying to take a picture of.

In this situation, a smaller sensor is an advantage because of its larger DOF at a given aperture.

You can add also a ND filter to fix this in the larger sensor, but you don't have to with the smaller sensor.

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow