"Nex" has become an iconic brand name...

Started Oct 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Philnw2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,243Gear list
Like?
"Nex" has become an iconic brand name...
Oct 24, 2013

When i'm looking through various photographic blogs and websites, i see the terms Nex and "m4/3" used a lot to define a type of small mirrorless camera. It has common name recognition to it, as much as "kleenex" does when one buys facial tissues.

Many companies would love to have an iconic brand name like that which has common usage and will probably end up in a dictionary some day if its not already there.

Sony seems determined to have one orderly numbering system, and perhaps a designator like "A5623" will roll off my lips some day as easily as Nex does today, but i don't think so

In any case, Sony should keep that term Nex in common usage on their website to define this kind of rangefinder camera, because i think its worth tons of publicity to them. Its almost like Sony has decided to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, to hack up a cliche

I thought the Nex was one ugly camera when i first saw it, so i keep buying them to see if the looks have improved Seriously, I grab my Nex camera(s) more often than my DSLR, and thats saying something because i really like my Pentax.

One last tip to Sony if they are reading, - think "quiet shutter". The Nex aren't too bad as far as shutter noise, but my K5 is quieter, and i think thats important for street shooting or in live performance theaters. The next time i buy a Nex to see if they're still ugly, i don't want to hear the shutter at all.

Second last tip to Sony if they aren't asleep yet, don't give up the rangefinder format just to please the American marketplace.  I'm an American and I know 2 other Americans in my photography club that like the Nex's.  So there are at least 3 Nex camera owners in the USA.  I'm not sure why these cameras haven't sold as well here as in the rest of the world.  But i can tell you that when i walk into the local playhouse to take rehearsal pictures, with the Dslr, noone asks any questions, when I'm carrying the Nex, they want to know what kind of camera it is, etc.  It seems like Nikon and Canon almost have a monopoly hold over the big box stores, altho I have seen Sony Nex's in Best Buy.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Nex 6, 5n, Pentax K5, Epson R3000

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow