Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ricko5
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?
In reply to psylvest, 9 months ago

With any of these you are going to end up with one hell of a lens, it really is just about choosing the best focal length for your application. This is a bit waffly but my experience...

I've had the 135 and 180 for a good few years, and have had the 85 1.4D for about 2. All on FX.

I would say the 85 is more versatile, but for me (D version) as much as I wanted it to, it has never quite matched the magic look of the 135, it must be the extra compression probably, and the colors are frankly amazing on the 135. Mine is sharp to very sharp at f2, and ridiculous by 2.8. I understand the 85G is a bit punchier than the D.

If money became tight and I had to look at offloading any of these, I would look to swap the 85 for a cheaper 1.8G or D version, or try and make do with a 50mm.

At a push I'd sell the 180, but the 180 is a great little lens with a fantastic combination of aperture speed and portability, it would be hard to replace as I hate large zooms but the length does make it less versatile for me than the others. As someone else suggested though it is an option and does great headhsots if you can get used to the distance.

The 135 would be the last to go, I love it. I hear the Sigma 150 is a fantastic lens but I just cannot see it giving me as much satisfaction as I get from using that legendary 135.

• f2 fast with great compression second only to the (very large) 200 f2

• beautiful bokeh second only to the (very large) 200 f2

• quick to focus

• built great, but not too heavy

• colors amazing

• looks the absolute dogs

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow