No aperture while recording video on some Nikon DSRL cameras: is this really a problem?

Started Oct 24, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Miki Nemeth
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
No aperture while recording video on some Nikon DSRL cameras: is this really a problem?
Oct 24, 2013

This is a question for practicing videographers owning and using Nikon D3200, D5200, D7100, D600 cameras. I was experimenting with the D5200 for a couple of hours during a Nikon show and I liked it very much. Before the show, I had watched and read reviews about the video capabilities of Nikon DSLR cameras, so I was aware of the limitation that the aperture cannot be changed during recording video; if you want to change the aperture, you have to stop video recording, switch to viewfinder mode, change the aperture, switch back to live view mode, and restart video recording. This sounds very awkward, but actually, even though my mirrorless Nikon V1 is capable, I never changed the aperture during recording videos. I'd like to hear your practicing videographers opinion: was/is this limitation of Nikon DSLR cameras really a problem in your experience/projects?

The reason I am asking is that I am thinking of buying a Nikon D5300, mostly for my video projects, and I guess, the D5300 will feature this "no-apaerture-change-in-live-view" issue, too.

Thank You,

Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +24 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow