Nikon's 5 year plan...

Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
hypercore360
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon's 5 year plan...
In reply to stevo23, Oct 24, 2013

stevo23 wrote:

OK guys, you read what the moderator said. Maybe we can re-boot this yet again and stay civil.

Thoughts of Nikon's demise could bring many emotions, but it's just a camera. If they were to go away in 5 years (not likely), there are other toys to play with.

Here's the article:

business.financialpost.com/2013/10/05/point-shoot-collapse-why-big-camera-companies-are-the-next-blackberry/?__lsa=de50-bc6b

Here's what I think is wrong with the article (not much right actually):

1) Most technology writers try to understand what they write about. This one doesn't quite get Nikon and Canon or any other camera maker or why any of the past ones went out of business. I don't know anything about him personally, but in this case, he seems to be missing something.

2) Quoting numbers can be scary, but I like Thom Hogan's more balanced approach. He actually knows what they mean and where they come from. He's being honest and straight with the facts and not skewing it for his purposes.

3) Tunnel vision is a sure sign that you're not getting an informative article. This writer focuses on Nikon and Canon, but the forces he describes and uses to predict doom are hitting all camera makers. One could actually say the Nikon and Canon, with cash in hand, are in a stronger position than the rest.

If you dig deeper, you'll realize this is not really an smart article at all. It's a simple regurgitation of facts that have been floating around for some time now. It's really just about the pain the smartphone market is causing the camera makers. It should say "all camera makers". But it doesn't. It chooses to focus on the big two.

Most articles like this are just worthless drivel; they are, I am sorry to say, just retarded!!! Why do I say this. They don't REALLY comprehend the finer points what they are writing / saying / analyzing, etc... These writers are given an assignment and are expected to come up with something meaningful (perhaps not even so), and / or something controversial to generate 'buzz' towards the article / their web site.

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow