Started Oct 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,234
Like?
Interesting article -- why DSLR companies are in BIG trouble
Oct 24, 2013

The Financial Post quotes a JP Morgan analyst that says Nikon won't be around in around 5 years. Relating to Olympus, industry analysts are noticing how captured IQ is no longer important to most buyers. It's the software (ie the E5 v E3) gains that are most important.

This explains to me why I've been bouncing my head off a brick wall trying to point out the IQ deficiencies that have developed in recent years.

"But what of interchangeable lens cameras and digital SLRs? Even today, smartphones largely can’t compete with Canon and Nikon’s prosumer and professional level shooters — at least, not where hardware capabilities and picture quality are concerned. Right?

As it turns out, they don’t have to. When it comes to image quality, the real problem is that consumers no longer care."

What I notice is that Oly may have recognised the consumer trends and responded before most other camera companies by emphasising software enhanced images (E5, EM5, EM1).

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/10/05/point-shoot-collapse-why-big-camera-companies-are-the-next-blackberry/?__lsa=303b-d8fb

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow