I don't see much enthusiasm for the XE2 here

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chrisd999
Contributing MemberPosts: 674Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't see much enthusiasm for the XE2 here
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Oct 24, 2013

I down-sized from Nikon D800 to X-E1 a few months ago, and for the most part I have no regrets. The convenience of the size and form factor were the main thing for me. I am mainly a travel and landscape hobbyist shooter, so the loss of focus speed was not a major issue for me. In fact, although it focuses slower than my old Nikon, it is more accurate most of the time. Financially, I can afford the X-E2 upgrade, and I was prepared to lay out the cash for the upgrade, and I factored this into my Nikon to Fuji down-sizing plan.

However, even though I normally suffer from G.A.S., my enthusiasm for this particular upgrade from X-E1 to X-E2 is waning. I'm not 100% sold on it. For me, IQ trumps everything, and I'm not convinced this is an upgrade in that area. Maybe it's better focus speed, but is the IQ improved? In fact, by dedicating some of the pixels to phase detect AF, there might be some minor loss in IQ, similar as the X100 to X100s. The improvements in AF speed and other minor things are not enough for me.

It would be nice to see some in-depth reviews that really compare these two cameras and the IQ in particular. Until then, I think I'll hold with the X-E1.

Chrisd999's gear list:Chrisd999's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow