OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?

Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lab D
Senior MemberPosts: 5,277Gear list
Like?
The truth about the A7's large size.
In reply to captura, Oct 24, 2013

captura wrote:

Banger wrote:

1, OK ..but no big deal with newer technology. IQ probably very close, more dependent on particular lens used rather than anything else. I suspect Canikon are starting to get worried, particularly Nikon as the Sony is likely using the same D800 (sony) sensor.

2. Sure, paper thin DOF easier if that's where you get your jollies, but most folks are more interested in the benefits of greater DOF with u4/3 & APSc.

True enough. I thought the DOF with APS-C was a good compromise, but now NEX is dead.

3. Body size comparable, but Sony requires 35mm sized lenses, and that is a very big heavy deal, particularly if you want f2.8 or wider lenses.

The Zeiss EF FF lenses I handled, a 35mm/2.8 and a 50/1.8 were sureprizingly smalll. Longer lenses will be large. Old E-mount APSC lenses still work OK, but only 10mp on A7 and 16 mp on A7r.

and ???

Rob

The E-M1 grip is slightly larger than the A7 and I prefer the Canon grips over both. Of course we already know the A7 doesn't focus as fast the E-M1 and can't do what a DSLR can do.

Now about that size....

http://camerasize.com/compact/#487.395,380.306,ha,t

It is too close to other FF cameras that will function better.

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow