OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,081Gear list
Like?
Re: OMD E-M1 vs Sony A-7, What's the Difference?
In reply to captura, 10 months ago

Focus speed, frame rate - isn't the Sony a bit sluggish?

Current availability of lenses - Sony will take some time to catch up to 4/3 (and no, APS lenses don't count here)

Price of lenses (when available)

IBIS

Size of lenses, especially at the long end - There may be some small E mount primes on the way, but when it comes to reach you can fit in your pocket, it's hard to beat a smaller format.

The A7 may be a better match to old film lenses.

the higher resolution of the Sonys would likely be preferred by landscape shooters who can never get enough detail.

The person thinking about a FF Canikon might well be tempted to give the new Sony more than a casual glance... But there's that lens availability issue. Well, we will see how fast Sony can release a reasonable set of lenses.  More interesting to someone starting from scratch than someone who already has a number of (AF) lenses in another mount

The person with a good deal invested in 4/3 or m43 lenses probably won't be so excited by the A7 as a replacement for their current system.

I think the real news here would be if Nikon or Canon takes note and develops a compact FF mirrorless body with fast accurate AF using existing lenses (even if adapter is needed). Such a camera could well kill off Sony FF mirrorless before it gets off the ground. Fortunately for Sony, Canikon doesn't move that fast.

Biggest market I see for the new Sony is someone already using Sony APS and looking to go to FF

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow