Nikon's 5 year plan...

Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
perhort
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
Not so gloomy, please Re: Nikon's 5 year plan...
In reply to Tommot1965, Oct 23, 2013

I also don't buy into the gloom. The one critical technology I think that Nikon has to master is the hybrid viewfinder. If they do this, the future looks bright. They have the best sensors. The best af-technology, on-sensor and off. They have tons of legacy that no other company (except Canon) can match. With hybrid VF, Nikon would be in a position where they more or less can do anything. They can put hybrid viewfinders into their DX and FX offerings, making these cameras very competitive against mirrorless. They can put larger sensors into the CX mount. They can put "1" sensors into their compacts, thus stemming the slide to smartphones. Nikon and Canon have had an exceptional decade. One cannot expect this situation to last forever. Perhaps the market will decline somewhat. But Nikon will be around and perform a leading role in a more mature, slowly growing market. No competitor has a disruptive technology that will alter the tables. Sure, Nikon could improve the connectivity in their cameras, but in my view, the value of this feature is exaggerated and amendable. Meanwhile, there are 3 billion people out there who will become middle class within the next thirty years....

perhort's gear list:perhort's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow