Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,629Gear list
Like?
X-E1 B&W vs Film
Oct 23, 2013

Here is a non scientific set of comparison shots. Film used was Ilford Delta 100 (ISO 100 black and white 35mm film) developed using the Ilford direct service mentioned in the DPR news feed a few weeks back:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/09/02/ilford-opens-us-lab-to-meet-demand-for-black-and-white-film-development

I chose the large scans on the whole roll, resulting in over 500 meg of downloaded image data for 24 exposures (6774x4492). After softening the contrast a small amount I downsized to 3456 pixel width to match the JPG from the X-E1. What we are comparing here is a full frame 35mm image and an APS-C sized digital image.

I processed the X-E1 JPG using the Photoshop Elements "Convert to black and white" tool, in portrait mode believe it or not, because it gave a pretty good contrast range.

The image is of the Herndon, VA historic town hall. Camera used was a Sigma SA-7n 35mm SLR using the Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM.

The film image has excellent detail and even grain, while the digital image seems to be better: no noise or grain and just as much detail.  There is a certain character in the film shot, particularly evident in the bricks near the door of the town hall, which I think is better than the digital version but otherwise the digital version looks pretty good to me.

I'm interested to know your opinions since I haven't shot a whole lot of digital B&W so far.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
PSNew
(unknown member)
p.s.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow