Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bruxi
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Manual is (usually) a waste of time...
9 months ago

So many people talk about shooting only in manual, but this makes no sense to me most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I switch to manual when I need to (about 1/4 of the time), but most of the time it's a distraction to spin scroll dials to bring the exposure in line.  For most shots, I don't want to compromise IQ, so it's 100 ISO.  Then I look at what I want - aperture or shutter priority - most times the shot will call for one or the other (I find Av more).  For example a portrait - I don't care if the shutter is 1/100 or 1/1000 - I want ISO and Av correct.  Same for many landscapes and candids - shutter speed is the third and variable component as there's so much room to get it right on the high end.  If I go manual and "choose" a shutter speed, then I have to spin dials which  compromises my desired aperture or ISO.  Of course there are many times to use manual (and I do), but just not all the time like so many people say.

I just find it's a waste of time when you should be focused on getting the shot right.  You can't have it all, so set your priorities, then let the camera compensate to get the exposure right while you concentrate on getting the subject shot right.

bruxi's gear list:bruxi's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow