Tele-extender or cropping?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,952Gear list
Like?
Re: Tele-extender or cropping?
In reply to athleticpete, 9 months ago

With a tele-converter, the minimum distance at which the camera focusses is further away.

My Olympus SP-570UZ (which does have an adaptor for the Olympus B-300, later renamed the Tcon17) this is particularly noticeable when I try to get small birds.

My Olympus SZ-30MR (for which I had to bodge an old adaptor), works beautyfully with the Olympus B-300.

This particular converter is also tried with other brands of camera. I have read reports saying that the B-300 focus distance with some cameras is wrong, and that adaptors have to be modified to correct this.

I have also found that dust settling on the tele-extender during long periods of storage also misleads the focussing, and the B-300 in particular is prone for the butter finger treatment since it has a large exposed glass surface.

Historically, the B-300 was designed for a 35mm all-in-one SLR, the Olympus IS-3000. Olympus used to state categorically that the B-300 would NOT work with their digital cameras, but I have used it directly with the Olympus C-1400L and the C-2500L at that particular time.

Other tele-extenders may have a similar history.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow