Best manual fast 50mm prime that performs well on e-mount (with adapter)?

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,204Gear list
Like?
Re: Best manual fast 50mm prime that performs well on e-mount (with adapter)?
In reply to sean lancaster, Oct 23, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

For example, are any adapters for Canon or Nikon advantageous for some reason?

Such as: do any pass the aperture back to the camera to save as EXIF?

This is my biggest gripe with using my Canon FDn 50/1.4 or any of my legacy lenses . . . no communication with the camera and no aperture or lens info in the EXIF. Now that I think about how frustrating it is after a day of shooting 200 photos or so, I am reconsidering my plan to perhaps shoot a Voigtlander 35/1.2 II as my main lens on the A7. I think it might annoy me too much. Doh.

You soon begin to see what the aperture roughly was by looking at the photo. And is it really that frustrating not to remember whether you shot something at f5.6 or f8?

OP - I use cheap $10 Chinese adapters plus a Zhongyi Lens Turbo, all work pretty well it seems. Others prefer to get quality/expensive versions, but even some of these can be hit and miss for infinity focusing etc.

I think the Metabones Speedbooster adapters pass electronic information to the Sony Emount cameras, but they are very expensive and I am not sure a speed booster is going to work well on a sensor that is already full frame, but I'll let someone else chime in on this.

Someone's already started a thread about using SB (which optically reduces the FF lens image down to APS-C size, giving you a FF field of view on APS-C, plus more light (= shutter speed) and central sharpness) on the A7 FF sensor,  for square format cropping later, which seems odd to me - why on earth would you want to?!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Alan
my Flickr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow